Friday, August 6, 2010

Paris.

Bonjour!
Recently, on my post grad trip to Europe, I made my way to gorgeous Paris. It's been my dream to visit Paris ever since I saw a picture of the Mona Lisa in my Grade 6 classroom. My friend Caitlin and I joined forces with my brother in the beautiful city, and made our tour around as many of the famous landmarks that we could fit into our schedule.
Of course, the Eiffel Tower was at the top end of my list, but aside from the Champs D'Elysees to peep the worlds glorious fashion street, I was dying to see the Louvre Museum.
Art is a great interest of mine, whereas most young people visit museums because of the priority in Europe, I like to think I visit them because of my heightened love of art.
To do the whole humongous museum would've meant the most comfortable shoes you own, aswell as 7 or so hours of your precious time. I didn't come prepared for EITHER of these things ( The sandals I chose failed me in MANY situations the city of Paris threw at me - including torrential rain at the top of Sacre Couer. Lets just say foam sandals don't hold up against marble and 3 inches of water...so my BARE feet literally pounded the streets of Paris.), so we were only physically able to spend around 2 or 3 hours in the museum.
Our lack of a building floorplan map also did not bode well for our visit to the museum, so we were stuck in the more popular wing of the museum - where the famous Mona Lisa is held aswell as the sculpture of Aphrodite known as Venus de Milo are held.

I was so excited to see the famous painting I'd been dreaming of visiting since middle school, but it was definitly anti-climactic. Walking into the room where the painting is held, you face a crowd of about 200 people all crowded around this HUGE wooden wall, and if you squint your eyes a bit, you can catch a glimpse of a glass box...and inside the box - the blessed Mona Lisa. It's definitly not the size in which you would imagine, because it's MUCH smaller than what I had anticipated. Not only does it look a lot smaller than what I imagined, as a grade 6 student, the MASSIVE paintings that no one is looking at in the surrounding room definitly help to put the size aspect into perspective.

After the dissapointment of viewing the Mona Lisa, we went into some of the adjoining rooms, looking for my favourite painting. We finally came across it, and thankfully it isn't everyone else's favourite painting, so I was allowed some alone time with the work of art. My favourite painting is the "Liberty leading the People" by the famous french artist Eugene Delacroix. The painting depicts the Revolution of July 1830 in France, the revolution that threw Charles X from his throne. The painting itself was the spark of the production of the Statue of Liberty in New York which was given to America only 50 years after the painting was completed.

After venturing throughout the overwhelming yet amazing museum, our tour continued on to the Eiffel Tower, Champs D'elysees and the Arc de Triomphe...

No comments:

Post a Comment