Saturday, April 3, 2010
Wanna dress for the season and NOT look like an Easter Egg? Yeah me too.
Here's how to rock your favourite pastel colours seen on the typical easter egg without fear of being mistaken for one...
'1) Know which colors go well with pastels: Black does not go with pastels (except with white and ivory, which also happen to be the two easiest pastels to wear.) Never pair bright colors (like tropical or fluorescent/neon colors) with pastels. Fire engine red and baby pink, for instance, never go together well. Gray looks much better with pastels than black. Pale gray and lavender or light blue, for instance, is a timeless combination. Remember that drab colors (camel, gray, beige, and tan) are what match pastel colors best.
2) Don't create too delicate-looking outfits: Combine demure pieces with more revealing ones for a bit of contrast. The aim is to come across as adult and feminine, not as a girl in kindergarten. Also try pastels in sturdier fabrics once in a while to lessen the fragile feel inherent to all light colors. Fabrics like denim and canvas lend an interesting flair to pastel colors. Baby pink denim jackets and seafoam green canvas tote bags are chic with the right pieces. You can also mix a flouncy pastel blouse with jeans or cargo pants to create juxtaposition between feminine and masculine fabrics.
3) Go for modern jewelry: Pair trendy pieces in clean cuts with your pastel ensembles. Antique jewelry may look too old-fashioned and custume-y with the already fairylike color palette (there are, however, exceptions so use your own discretion). Silver usually looks better with pastels than gold. If you want to try something other than a metal, go for earthy stones. Light and medium-colored stones, like turquoise, amber, and rose quartz, are great options. Be careful with pearls because even if you're aiming for ladylike elegance, you could end up screaming five-year-old flower girl instead. You should go for tiny pearl studs or simple pearl drop earrings instead of giant pearl clip-ons, for instance.
4) Find interesting hosiery: If you're fearful of wearing pastels in general, pastel hosiery can be a nice subtle touch to an outfit that almost any woman can get away with wearing. Neutral fishnets in pale yellow, for example, pairs well with a beige dress. Cream opaque tights are wonderful for winter wear and will match many light-colored ski sweaters. The only pastel hosiery you should probably avoid are plain baby pink tights. '
MY FAVOURITE EASTER HOLIDAY TRADITIONS;
1) Driving that lenghty 1 1/2 hours to Thetis Isl. where the fam gathers for every occasion.
2) Taking the ferry over, while counting jellyfish over the side of the ship (record: 234 - Rachel Macphail) OR climbing up on the top deck where your NOT supposed to go, and watching the Orca's.
3) Illegally driving the island when on the other side.
4) Listening to Gemma scream as we get closer to Grammy's.
5) The root of the big tree that sticks out on the driveway, so when you drive over you think you've driven over somebody.
6) Seeing Grammy :)
7) LEEK AND POTATOE SOUP WITH WARM BREAD as soon as you get in the door.
8) Creating (as artistically as you can) the BEST name placements for the Easter Dinner table.
9) Playing your favourite song (usually coldplay) on the piano and semi-failing.
11) Sleeping in the Trailor - usually includes a cousin war where guns are fired, pinecones thrown, screaming, and VERY upset father's who sleep in cars ensue.
12) The swing that's almost broken.
13) Playing soccer at the field at the school.
14) The merry-go-round at the school field.
15) Excersise video's with grammy at the community hall.
16) THE BUMP.
17) Drives to Pilkey Point.
18) Runs without sports bras (never again meagan).
19) Visiting G.G. & Papa <3.
20) THE OATMEAL GAME.
21) KICK THE CAN (also at the school).
22) FRISBEE GOLF.
23) Dinner ( turkey/mashed potatoes/gravy/brocolli & cauliflower in cheesesauce/NASTY RED CABBAGE/brusselsprouts/ potatoe& apple dish thing).
24) Ferry rides home.
25) IF YOUR LUCKY- YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO STOP AT MCDONALDS IN DUNCAN. BIG IF.
26) Sleeping in the car, and waking up to screaming gemma and you realize your on your street.
27) ' YOU BETTER HELP ME UNPACK THE CAR. NO IF AND'S OR BUT'S...IM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT WENT UP TO THETIS THIS WEEKEND.' - Chris Hayward.
I MISS YOU EVERYONE AT THETIS XOX